• An advanced electrochemical sensor designed to accurately measure low levels
of carbon monoxide (CO) providing an early warning of toxic CO levels.
• Detects carbon monoxide continuously.
• Resistant to false alarms caused by normal contaminants.
• Sounds a loud 85dB alarm (at 1m/3 feet) to alert you in case of an emergency.
• Test/reset button.
• Regular self-check to ensure detector is operating correctly.
• Portable and ideal for travelling.
• Certified to the European Standard for Carbon Monoxide Alarms BS EN 50291 : 2001.
• 7 year warranty.
CARBON MONOXIDE AND HOW IT CAN AFFECT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that kills hundreds of people each year and injures many more. It is often referred to as the silent killer, it has no odour or taste and cannot be seen. Like oxygen, CO enters the body through the lungs during the normal breathing process. It competes with oxygen by replacing it in the red blood cells, thereby reducing the flow of oxygen to the heart, brain and other vital organs. In high concentrations, CO can kill in minutes.
Many cases of reported carbon monoxide poisoning indicate that while victims are aware they are not feeling well, they become disorientated and unable to save themselves by either exiting the building/structure or calling for assistance. Exposure during sleep is particularly dangerous because the victim usually does not wake up.
Symptoms of CO poisoning
The following symptoms may be related to CO poisoning which all camping group members should be made aware of:
• Mild Exposure: Slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue (often described as ‘flulike’ symptoms).
• Medium Exposure: Severe throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate.
• Extreme Exposure: Unconsciousness, convulsions, cardiorespiratory failure, death.
This CO detector monitors the level of CO as parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere surrounding the detector. 35ppm The maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for healthy adults in any 8 hour period, as recommended by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). 200ppm Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea after 2 - 3 hours. 400ppm Frontal headaches within 1 - 2 hours, life threatening after 3 hours. 800ppm Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within 2 hours. Death within 2 - 3 hours.
Should you suspect CO may be affecting you or your family, open the doors and windows of your tent to ventilate, turn off your appliances and evacuate the tent. At this time the authorities should be contacted to locate the source of the carbon monoxide before re-entering. Medical attention should be sought for anyone suffering the effects of CO poisoning (headache, nausea etc).